Bright flavours of Thai basil, coriander, lime leaves and red chillies make this Thai-style Instant Pot Chicken mince a yummy addition to our weekly menu. Serve it with cucumber curry salad, rice and a fried egg like they do on the streets of Thailand or on lettuce leaves if your hubby’s doing Keto, it will be fabulous either way.
Instant Pot Chicken Mince
This dish is a modified version of Thai minced beef that is street food in Thailand. I make it without the use of fish sauce and soy sauce because of our food allergies.
Along with some recipe tweaks to make it with fewer ingredients, I have also adjusted this dish to cook in the Instant Pot. This is an electric pressure cooker that makes dishes faster, easier with less mess. There are fewer dishes to wash, after all.
Thai-style Chicken Mince
I serve this dish with steamed rice. I often have basmati in my pantry (surprise!) and so that’s what I have used here. You can use Jasmine for authentic Thai texture. Serve this dish with a fried egg and a drizzle of sriracha and you’ll be transported to Asia in an instant!
Start with the rice. Wash and rinse it at least 3 times to get the dust and the extra starch off the grains. Leave it aside covered in 2:1 ratio water while you get everything else ready.
Real Life Kitchen Tips
- This recipe uses coriander four ways. Stems, leaves and coriander seeds and powder. If you’re the minority to whom coriander tastes soapy, I got you. Skip the leaves, they are the main culprits.
- Freshly roasted whole spices add unbeatable flavour.
- Last minute guests? Need to boost the quantity? Add yellow lentils to the mince at the start. It will bulk your dish up with plant-based protein
- Use a mixture of light and dark meat – it adds to the flavour
Bold and brightly flavoured Instant Pot chicken mince with the warmth of Thai basil, coriander and lime leaves
- 3-4 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 Handful coriander stems
- 4 in pc lemongrass
- 1 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 2in pc of ginger
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 lb Chicken Mince I have also used turkey here with good results
- 1 tbsp mild oil like canola or grapeseed
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Brown sugar or molasses
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- oven safe bowl that fits inside the IP
Turn IP to saute. Let it heat up a while
Add onions and saute and sweat for a while
Add ginger and do the same. Add garlic.
This will take a couple of minutes
Add the blended mixture of herbs and let them saute and sweat for 5 minutes.
Add the mince and toss for a few minutes to let it brown just a little. Add the powdered spices
Add 1/4 cup of water toss, seal lid. Set Instant Pot to manual 7 min. NPR for 10
When you open it if it feels too liquidy saute for a few mnutes after it's open to let the liquid evaprate.
Serve with rice, cucumber curry salad and a fried egg
Pour rice and water into an oven safe bowl
Seal with aluminium foil
Place trivet inside the Instant Pot.
Place the dish on top.
Seat and set IP to the 7 min mark for the chicken mince.
Bonus: How to cook rice in the Instant Pot
Follow the steps in the recipe above.
The pot-in-pot method works with over safe containers like pyrex glass and steel. Consider recipes that take up the same cooking time. Rice cooks best in 7-8 mins PIP.
See Facebook Live here for more tips. It’s a long one so skip through if needed. Enjoy.
Serve with cucumber curry salad and rice and a drizzle of sriracha sauce.