Baked Beans make for a delicious quick meal or an even better side dish. Here is my version of traditional, English Baked Beans, made somewhat speedily, in an Instant Pot.
My Dad loved Baked Beans on toast. It might have been his English boarding school upbringing or perhaps because the beans straight out of a can made an easy and portable dinner and fit right in with his military habits. Whatever the reason, Baked Beans was one of his favourite dishes.
Growing up I can barely remember a time when there wasn’t a can of baked beans in the kitchen cabinet. Long before TV dinners were a thing, and definitely before #PantryStaples were trendy, baked beans on toast was a family favourite. Add a fried egg and you have pure luxury. Simple living, right?
Years ago when I was shopping around for an electric pressure cooker, one of the key criteria for me was how the appliance made homemade baked beans. Of course when I got the Instant Pot I as going to try out all the bean-y dishes I liked.
You can make this recipe in a Dutch Oven on the stove top or in a slow cooker but this version of Instant Pot Beans is definitely an easy favourite. This dish is also portable and you can carry it for a potluck or serve it alongside burgers or grilled chicken. But you can probably guess how I like to eat it – on toast!
Real Life Kitchen Tips
- Beans are a traditional pantry staple. They are budget-friendly, healthy and their shelf life is longer than you can imagine. I often make homemade baked beans with white navy beans or a combination of red and white. The red beans take a little longer to cook though so keep that in mind as you’re cooking along.
- These beans are better mushy and just a tad over-cooked.
- If you’re using a pot on the stove – use the same recipe. Boil once and then turn it to a low simmer and let it bubble away gently for 2 1/2 hours or so. Stir every 10 minutes or so. Check for done-ness by picking up a bean in between for forefinger and thumb. It should squish easily.
- If you have an electric pressure cooker like the Instant Pot, make beans. This method takes less time, less prep work and definitely less mess.
- Start with beans soaked overnight in cool water. If you don’t have time for this step, soak the beans for 30 minutes in warm water and add 10 minutes to your cooking time.
Making Instant Pot Baked Beans
I’ve tried this recipe with sauteed onions and bacon, molasses and tamarind and a whole lot of other variations. Homemade baked beans are great and they taste delicious in every variation.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 red chilli peppers
- 1 /2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp favourite mustard sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or tamarind sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup navy beans Soaked overnight in enough cool water and then rinsed
- Salt to taste
Turn the Instant Pot to Saute and let it heat for a couple of minutes
Add the ingredients in the order they are listed.
Let the oil have enough time to heat through and then add the whole spices.
Give them 10-15 secs before you add the other ingredients.
One by one, add the remaining allowing enough time to stir each one in.
Stir everything together and just taste for salt before you out the lid on.
Set the IP to High Pressure 35 mins. NP for 10 minutes.
Stir and serve with toast or eggs or your Sunday Roast